Bouncing Squad Bouncing Squad

Huh...this like nothing I'd ever personally compose...and yet it hits the artwork right on the head, IMO. This almost begs to be a level in a videogame about the picture! I'd play the shit out of that game!

endKashika responds:

Thanks a lot Ceevro, enjoyed your Rothgar piece so much. :)

AIM - Light Enduring AIM - Light Enduring

This is just lovely! I'm in agreement with johnfm about the warbly pad, but really, the composition here is enough to bring a dude to tears in the right circumstances! The raw talent in this place never ceases to amaze me.

Phonometrologist responds:

Thank you Ceevro. You and johnfm convinced me to get rid of the tremolo effect as I automated that. It probably isn't necessary, and I think I got carried away with it for fun.

AIM - Enslaved To The Pain AIM - Enslaved To The Pain

Wow! Just WOW.

the girl i fell in love with the girl i fell in love with

I am enjoying the overall composition, but the recording quality leaves a lot to be desired. You've got it compressed to the point where it sounds like it's all underwater. And while I am 100% in favour of live-recording, you will find that you benefit greatly from a more high-quality microphone and a dedicated recording space. At the bare minimum, you should have a padded backdrop for your mic to filter out ambient sounds.

But like I said, the composition itself was highly enjoyable. You sing and play well, and it was a great mood.

The Dark Desolater The Dark Desolater

Thoughts while listening:

Starts out VERY Tim Burton. Somehow turns all Slender Man, while retaining that Burton quality. Love the drop! Makes me wish I'd pulled out the headphones for the first listen! Methinks I'm gunna hafta have a convo with you on how to make dub...I wanna, but I keep failing. Do you use a keyboard while you record, or do you do the qwerty thing? Or what I used to do when I still used FL - manually click in each note on the grey grid?

I am totally getting down with this! Needs a strong voice shouting a hook. Maybe some kinda mass of people.

Thoughts after listening:

Welp. You gots the dubstep, there is no doubt. While I am personally not a fan of overly digital-sounding FX, you've used them remarkably here! When the competition is over, if you'd like, I'd love to put an electric guitar track in there for the melody line! Methinks I should get into contact with you to maybe start learning a bit more about the genre. I love good dubstep, but dammit, I can't make my DAW do what's in my head!

Full marks, my friend! Good luck in AIM!

Spadezer responds:

Much appreciated, and thank you. If you want, sure go ahead and hit me up. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to help, especially since I still feel like I fight with making what's in my head play out well in a DAW. What has helped me though with the first time I really tried making a dubstep piece, binge on listening to some dubstep songs and try to listen to the details. What I found is dubstep requires a lot of attention to the small details to make the whole. For example, I watched "We are Number One (Dubstep Remix)" for inspiration and found the drumming generally in Dubstep is a lot more minimal than what I was doing in my other stuff. Also, dubstep tends to separate sounds a little more than what I've done in other pieces too, like there's less harmonizing among different synths.

As for what I do, I have a keyboard to attempt plucking out what I hear in my head, or I use it as I'm messing with knobs to play with the sound of the synth. Otherwise I'm doing a lot of clicking either because I know what I want or I'm cleaning up what I record.

Thanks for the compliments and good luck back to you.

Kerst loopt Mis Kerst loopt Mis

Not bad...which I spoke the language!

I've scouted you! This means that any misuse of NG will reflect on me, so be good, K?

Welcome, new artist! I'm sure we'll work together soon!

DJ P1E - Bad Apple DJ P1E - Bad Apple

Thoughts while listening:

Simple but cute melody to start off...love the saws coming through. I kinda want the synth to sound more natural. I know this is a video game site, but for some reason I figure that a synth should only be used if it sounds better than the real thing. Just my own personal thing. Love the quiet section at 2:10. Good dirty bassline going. You've got some great effects going there. I've gotta figure out how to mess with my tones like that...I mostly do it by playing the tone through the instrument. Using an effect for it would be useful to me.

Good stuff -

Nice, solid melody. It's got a hook you can hum, which so many people forget about in their music. Great FX. Like, seriously solid FX. Don't think I could do this to save my life. No complaints on the mix/master.

Could improve -

My own personal preference is obviously for more live-sounding instrumentation. I think that some of the sounds you've used here, especially for the lead, sound really dated, like NES sounds. Some may love that sound, but again, I'm more for live.

Overall: Solid remix here. Nothing stands out as a mistake, and the hook be strong.

4.5/5
R4R

Regards,

Ceevro

[Proglifting Trance] Sky Patrol [Proglifting Trance] Sky Patrol

Thoughts while listening:

Little slow to start...and the lead-in brings us to something that sounds like it should be on a runway. I will admit, you're better with the percussion than I am! There's some wonderful subtlety in it, and I love the syncopation at around 1:30. I'll be honest, it sounds like you found a nice pad and button-mashed it for two minutes before bringing in the melody. And finally a front-and-center melody at 3 minutes. Very subtle build-up at around 3:40...that must've been a bitch to do! Percs only breakdown at 5:25 makes for a suitable outro...

Good stuff-
This is overall very well-done. No complaints on the mixing/mastering. You percussion is wonderfully subtle, and the structure is solid.

Stuff to improve-
The overall tone is, well, unmemorable. This sounds like what you'd expect as stock music for a fashion montage in a sitcom (which will still get you paid, if you sell it to the right buyer, so don't feel like this is an insult). You clearly have the talent and mixing ability to make solid music, so the real push for you should be to get in a hook that I can't get out of my head. Something I can whistle to a DJ, and have him say, "Yeah, I got that track!" This part is HARD, and I have to work on it myself. I also feel like you took 6 minutes to say what should have taken 2. Personally, I want a vocal (probably high, female, and singing in some European language) to make this really pop.

OVERALL:

Very solid skills shown here. You are clearly able to work your way smoothly around the grey grid and make something slick. It's time to make it stick in my head so I can't get it out!

4.5/5
R4R

Regards,

Ceevro

Keitomine responds:

I often spend a lot of time on mixing drums and percussive elements, so much so that I get burnt out mixing other parts of the track, but I spend so much time crafting my drum loops that I feel that it's necessary.

This is sorta like a rough draft, I'm definitely gonna sort some stuff out, I might even change up the melody a little bit, but I'm definitely adding more sounds to it to try to bring it forward without drowning out the mid range.

also I really like the melody. I feel like I can add some flavor to it and make it more memorable, but this is kinda the first melody I came up with in with the chord progression, and threw it in just to I could hear it in context.

AIM - Unstoppable AIM - Unstoppable

Thoughts while listening:

Nice build-up! Really cool 80's techno-feel...just done better. Love the synth choir at 01:10. Sounds like something totally played on a synth. Dunno why...generally electronica isn't my cuppa tea, but I'm totally getting down to this! Like...I want a spandex unitard and a glowing motorcycle, so this can be my theme music while I throw laser discs at things.

Thoughts after listening:

The mix is spot-on. And your instrument selection is definitely exactly what the song needs. There's not an error in here that I can point out! You've done precisely what you set out to accomplish!

5/5! I don't give those out often!

TIMETRAVL responds:

Thank you for your feedback!

I'm glad you like and that you caught the feeling of the track and the setting.

Also thank you for you neat rating :)

RPG Town Dark Fantasy Music RPG Town Dark Fantasy Music

Thoughts while listening: Totally something I'd expect to play in the background of a PS1-era FF game. Sound at 0:35 is grating...not the wrong notes...more the wrong instrument. You need a more realistic clarinet or a bass-flute. Perhaps a wood-flute, like a shakuhachi. It works OK when it's soft.

REALLY sudden change with the percs at about 2:10. Like a total scene change. This should almost be a separate piece. It feels like it's in a jungle, and the first movement was in a village. I love the gong, though. Adds great drama.

Thoughts after listening:

You've got a really nice vibe here. I'd like to hear it with more realistic instrumentation (but that's almost always my preference, so take it for what it's worth). Your synth-oboe kinda sound needs to go. It would work WAAAAAAY better with a softer instrument, like a flute. This is background, I get it, but if you want it to be background, you have to make sure that the sound stays under the action, and abrupt tones tend to push their way forward in the listeners mind.

3.5/5 R4R

-Ceevro

UserSigon responds:

I don't remember what instrument I used for that flute/wind thing that you don't like, it's from Sampletank, but honestly I didn't play with its settings or keyswitches enough. Lmao yes the second part is a bit too different, but I wanted to add some percussions/drums element

Thanks for the tips about the background/tones thing, it's my second serious attempt at something like this, but I only spent like 2 hours since I've never done anything similar. Will probably try to make more soon, thanks mate